Today Singapore Celebrates her 48th years of independence from Malaysia in 1965. This Public Holiday will feature the National Day Parade, with fireworks dancing in the night sky (okie, I’m exaggerating here, maybe only 10mins in the night sky) followed by the Prime Minister Speech (the National Day Rally).
Recently, Something like that came through my mailbox.
And this had prompt me to write more about where I’m from.
Where exactly is Singapore? Some may have difficulty in finding us, cos we are merely a small dot on the map. So I guess, it is naturally for most people will group us together with China. Is like most people think Singapore is part of China (I’m making a wild guess here, cos’ there’s always this kind of marketing/advertisement out there about: Shanghai, Hong Kong and Singapore; so naturally people think we are part of it,)
Well the truth is, we are not part of China and we are far away from China.
Random Facts about Singapore
1. This is how our flag looks like
2. This is where we are located
(Source: from Wikipedia)
We are located at the southern tip of the Malaysia Peninsula. Our total Land Mass area is about 710 km square.
3. Our current population is slightly over 5 million now with highly diverse population of Chinese, Malay, Indians and other foreigners.
4. We are a land of immigrants.
5. We have 4 official languages: English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil. English is the main language used in Schools, Legal Document and all government and corporate firms.
So now for the fun part. I’m giving away 2 gifts to ONLY my followers.
The criteria of the giveaway is as below:
1. You have to be a follower of Pretty Little Things in a Box to enter the contest.
2. You need to leave a comment on which package you like to receive:
The Batik package or Little Flower package
& any birthday wishes you have for Singapore.
(The Prize consists of a 0.5m piece of fabric,
magnet, postcard and
a pack of spice, with English instruction to make the soup)
3. This Contest will end on 15th Aug, 23:59 Hrs (GMT+ 8 hours) and is open to everyone. Make sure you have a valid email and mailing address. I ship internationally. I will use random number draw and email the winners.
Thank you for stopping by and Good luck to the contestants.